Day Thirty Four… Lomba running

Day Thirty Four (trigesimo-quarta dia)

Cinco semana

Wednesday. What used to be my “day off” has turned into a short run day. However, I wasted my short-run-day yesterday so I could lift with the boys. I took Romeo with me for 1.8 and then headed to lomba de alcaide. This time, I did it without the intention to conquer it, because it is further than 3.2 miles. I got up to lomba de pos and took that as my “break” because it is flat for a while. Then ascends. I play number games with myself while running, especially when hill running. Two more minutes and then I’ll turn around. Fifteen minutes up, and then I’ll run home. After I ran six minutes up lomba de pos which runs alongside a cliff overhanging the ocean (didn’t I say the ascent was always worth it?) I turned around and headed back for lomba de alcaide. I hoofed it up to the bottom of Lina and Ernes’ street, and then booked it back down to the vila. Until the GPS watch from Jackie and Gunter arrives I will not know how far this is, but I think it was 5.0 miles.

John was going to wait until I was back to go to Pic-Nic but I told him to go ahead and meet Ken (we don’t want him to be lonely without Bobby). After I showered, I made my way over. They had already had their galaos and were walking aimlessly when I found them. We went back to Pic-Nic and sat outside in the ridiculously-warm-for-November sunshine. John and Ken strategized about the juniors, who had a game that night against Sao Roque. John and Ken have played against their senior team and lost (see Day Nine). This time, John&Ken (it just doesn’t have the same ring!) were on the roster as coaches, along with Pedro the driver. I was excited to have a night to myself: I planned on eating as soon as I got home from ALKE (instead of waiting three hours) and settling into bed with my book and hitting the hay super early.

John and I scooted to Pic-Nic for one more galao and then he waited for Pedro to take them to the juniors game at Sao Roque. I walked up to Toronto Nights; I had sixteen women in my class. I did isometric-holds immediately followed by similar movements. It was demanding strength-wise, but not cardio. Lola told me it was “soft”. I will get her back on Thursday.

My night-in didn’t exactly go as planned. I got home from ALKE, walked Romeo, and then showered while I made my meat sauce. Ernes gave us a bag of food earlier at the gym. It included canned tuna, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, tri-color rotini, and bolos levedos (because he knows!!!). I used the whole wheat pasta and it was crack. I decided to paint my nails and watch Season 10 of Grey’s Anatomy. Before I knew it, it was 11:45pm and I waited just a few more minutes for John to come home. He ate his pasta and I ate two bowls of Fitness Cereal with chocolate soy milk because I was starving—I’m not used to eating early!!

The juniors lost 10-1. John does something with them that he cannot do with himself or his own team: he is proud of their effort. He says their goalkeeper got a red card 15 minutes in, and they played with a man down. He says they were 3-1 somewhere in the first half, and they finished the first half 7-1. He told them at halftime to think of the second half as a new game, blank slate, 0-0. They lost the second half 3-0 and he told them to be proud. I am glad John & Ken are teaching their players to be so positive, so when they are the senior team the attitudes are different. We all wish the senior team could do the same.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s