112, 113, 114… packages, peanut butter balls, and more long runs

Day One Hundred Twelve (dia um centena de doze)

Friday (Sexta-feira)

24 Janeiro 2014

I was in bed when John got home from practice the night before (which has been my MO since we started eating dinner earlier) so it was only fitting that he was in bed when I went out to run the next morning. I had two Peanut Butter energy balls that I had made the afternoon before (total experiment and if you are a resident of Massachusetts, don’t even BOTHER, just go to www.realdealsnacks.com like I’ve said before). I didn’t bake them and they were totally sticky, so I figured they might “set” in the fridge overnight. I guess they were slightly less sticky in the morning, and ridiculously delicious so I didn’t care. They also sat very well pre-run and mid-run. Romeo came with me for almost 2 and I finished 5 altogether. On Thursday I had hit 100 mile for the month. Thank you, Nike.


It’s been really warm the last few days—like run-in-a-tank-and-shorts-warm—so after running I need to change or else I will freeze to death sitting in a puddle of my own sweat. I think I’ve mentioned this before but I am a sweater. And I’m not ashamed to admit it; I sweat like a whore in church. Mostly when I’m running or lifting, but sometimes when my coffee is too hot or I’m nervous, or for any number of other tiny instances that require my body to self-regulate.

Anyway, after I ran and changed (and threw some chili together and left the heat on low) we walked over to meet Ken at the gym. We had two packages waiting for us and John was really excited because his mom had sent him new hair clippers a few weeks ago, so he thought they were here. I tried to gear him up for the realization that my dad sent a package before his mom and also our friend Anne and her fiance Joseph had sent something from Turkey. Sure enough, we had packages from P.Diddy and Anne Kranz (sorry JB). There was another package sent from a company in England addressed to Lina, but she hadn’t ordered anything and assumed it was meant for us. John and I decided it was a new pair of cleats that Ken had ordered. Since Ken wasn’t at the gym yet, Ernesto suggested they play a nasty trick on him.

John and Ernesto opened his package and took the cleats out of their signature orange Nike box and replaced them with old running sneakers. They put them back in the packaging and duct taped it closed again. I am not good at keeping a straight face, so I tried to steer clear of the pranksters when Ken showed up a few minutes later.

He was so excited when he saw the package from England; he knew it was his cleats. He tore into the package and his face dropped when he saw the sneaks but then the corners of his lips turned upwards into a grin, “You guys! Nice try. Where are my cleats?” But John and Ernesto didn’t let up, John said, “Oh man. I was nervous when I saw that duct tape. I thought something might be up.” And Ernesto just kept shaking his head, hands out wide. Ken’s face dropped again as he read the packing slip. I actually thought he was going to cry. Once Ernesto showed him the cleats he was hiding under his desk, it took Ken a solid ten minutes to calm down again. He was had.

Once all that excitement was over we started our Friday-circuit-workout, 5 rounds @ 10 reps each:

  • decline push-ups
  • alt v-ups
  • TRX single leg hops (kill me)
  • reverse fly’s (boys did chest fly’s)
  • upright row

I did two :90 planks at the end and then threw my legs up on the tiny piece of wall between the elliptical and one of the bikes for 2:00. I read it on one of my yoga-poses-for-runners articles. The one that is saving my plantar fasciitis from overtaking my life is toes pose. And I had one more for your IT band that it also a lifesaver.


After we went to Pic Nic we went home. My chili had cooked onto the bottom of the pot which totally messed with the flavor. Not my best batch—but I made meatballs for John and Ken which were thoroughly enjoyed, so no one else had to suffer through my sub-par chili-fail. I finished the rest of my sweet potato soup for lunch.


Along with the warm weather we’ve been enjoying we’ve also experienced some increased humidity, which for Romeo means excessive shedding. More excessive than usual. We haven’t had him groomed or even brushed him since we’ve been here (almost 4 months now!). I told John I couldn’t stand to sweep twice a day and then turn around and still see more fur on the ground; we were going to the pet shop/7 lombas rent-a-car. We took Romeo with us and made a pit-stop at Casa Cheia so I could grab conditioner for me and a Monster for John. We went into the pet shop where I found the brushes quickly. The lady behind the desk asked me if I need any help in Portuguese. I asked if she spoke English which she did, very well. John and Romeo came in the store, too, and she went on and on about how beautiful he is. We bought a brush and headed home.

Needless to say I didn’t need anymore loose fur in the apartment so we kept Romeo outside while I brushed him. I thought about using a bag, but I didn’t. More fur came off of Romeo than I’ve ever seen before. I just kept pulling it off the brush and tossing it into the street. By the time I was finished, the whole street was lined with giant tufts of Romeo fur. Lina walked by and marveled at all of it.

IMG_1657Yes, those tufts? Those are tufts of Romeo.

I made meatballs and Ken came over to eat dinner with John. I decided to eat my basically-botched chili after class. It was a little colder on Friday than it had been the two days before, so after we warmed-up outside, we worked-out inside.


At the end, I had them do 10 laps around the pool. One of the ladies in my class, Monica, is also my neighbor. Her son comes with her most days to class. On this particular day, they had seen Romeo’s fur in the street, but didn’t know it was Romeo’s fur. Monica’s son had asked her what was in the street, to which she replied, “Someone must have ripped open a pillow.”

John thought the PB balls were a little crunchy because I hadn’t baked them, so the chocolate chips were whole. I decided to try another batch, but bake them at 350F for 15 minutes like some of the recipes I’ve found suggested. I went home and ate my chili, showered, walked Romeo, started some laundry and got in bed. When John got home I was wide awake so we finally watched Catching Fire. Usually I fall asleep not long after we start movies at night, but Jennifer Lawrence is a rockstar, Hunger Games is great, and this movie was awesome. #teamgale


Day One Hundred Thirteen (dia um centena de treze)

Sabado (Saturday)

25 Janeiro 2014

JB was passed out when I got up so after I had my PB energy balls (I had one unbaked and one of the new baked ones… they tasted almost exactly the same) and walked Romeo, I headed to the gym solo. The gym was almost completely empty. It is very relaxing when you don’t have to worry about if the machine/area you want is taken. I did a nice long yoga warm-up, 5 miles on the bike, and then some TRX & free weights:

  • front squats to weighted box blasts
  • weighted TRX trail leg squats to box jumps
  • TRX core: 15 reps @ 3 rounds: mountain climbers, pikes, knee tucks, and leg curls. DONE.

I headed back home where I found John getting ready to go watch some Cup games at Pic Nic, so I went down with him for my galao. When I got home, I had lunch, showered, and went downstairs to Carla’s salon. Her cousin is finishing up hair school so I asked her to color my hair for me. Carla and I had talked about what color I wanted (dark-dark brown) and she had talked to her cousin for me (who speaks no English). Two hours later my hair was a few shades darker than it had been when I walked in to the salon. But it was shiny and someone else had done it for me—other than Carla pluckin’ my brows on day 5 I haven’t paid for a service. Not a mani, not a pedi, not a haircut. It was so nice to sit in a salon, with other ladies (even if most of what was said was not understood), having someone wash and dry my hair. I felt like a million bucks.

John came home from playing FIFA at Ken’s and we hung out for a little while before going to watch Kevin’s futsol game in the gymnasium. I had been planning to go to John’s game, but then I found out it was at 9:00pm and there wasn’t any room in Serenela’s boyfriend’s car. When we were leaving Kevin’s futsol game—John to go to his game, me to sit in bed and watch Grey’s Anatomy—Filipe told me I could ride in Pedro’s van with the players. Hmmm.. I could. Or I could sit in my warm bed and watch Grey’s. Thanks, anyways. The boys’ lost again because the referees are all corrupt and make call after call against Mira Mar to ensure a loss. I am so glad I was not in that van. As it turned out, I was in bed before their game even started.


Day One Hundred Fourteen (dia um centena de catorze)

Sunday (Domingo)

26 Janeiro 2014

I had been sleeping when John got home a little before 1:00am. I got up around 9:00am, took Romeo for a stroll, had some PB balls and a banana, and hydrated for my long run. It is my second-to-last long run before my actual training plan starts for the Nike Women’s half marathon. I set out with Romeo a little before 11:00am. I felt a whole lot better than I had the week before, trying to run after eating junk food and going to bed late. After I dropped Romeo off and headed for the lombas in a tank top I finished 11.5 miles.


I made chocolate chip pancakes for John and PB-oat-banana-chocolate-chip pancakes for myself—gluten-free(?) & dairy-free. John smothered PB on top of his and said they tasted like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I pinned about a dozen recipes the night before for pancakes, but then I just did my usual throw-a-bunch-of-stuff-in-a-bowl and called it a day. Delish—will definitely make again as a re-fuel. However, while they were delicious, they were not really picture-worthy.

I started my once-a-week clean everything I see routine. Ken came over and eventually we headed down to Pic Nic—me for my galao and John and Ken for Pic Nic burgers. I left them to go make chocolate chip cookies—Carla was having us over for drinks & snacks.

IMG_1666Sometimes I get a double.

Joe picked me, John, & Ken up around 7:30pm and took us to their house in lomba do Loucao. Soon after we arrived Lina and Ernesto and then Luisa and Emanuel showed up. Carla had a whole spread of fruits, cheeses, prosciutto, nachos with salsa and sour cream, vegetables, shrimp pastries that got a big thumbs-down from everyone who partook (except for John), and was busy making chicken quesadillas. I brought my chocolate chip cookies that I had drizzled melted peanut butter on top of. I had one and it was delish. PB always is.

Francisco was a riot—he was playing a game called Talking Ted on Joe’s smartphone and was leaning against John asking John to watch him play, in Portuguese of course. You could make Ted do different things, and one of them was fart. Francisco went around the table showing everyone individually Ted’s “bufa”. We toasted Carla and Joe’s baby-girl-to-be and her to-be God Parents, Lina and Ernesto. We talked about how corrupt soccer on this island is, and Emanuel told stories about when he managed Mira Mar and had the team walk off the field a few times because of bad reffing. After many more laughs, drinks, and cookies, Lina and Ernesto drove us home.


One thought on “112, 113, 114… packages, peanut butter balls, and more long runs

  1. […] I got up and could tell from the sunshine pouring into the kitchen that it was another warm day. I got ready and took Romeo for a walk-turned-run. I dropped him off after about a mile and finished four more. When I got back I had to change—I was totally soaked through with sweat. The sun is pretty intense, but as we’ve previously discussed, I am a natural sweat-er. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s