This is adapted from a Fitness.com recipe.
Black Bean Brownies
Cook time: 30 minutes
Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon espresso powder (optional)
1 mashed banana
1 tablespoon margarine
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Sliced almonds or broken up walnuts (optional)
2 tbs to 1/2 cup choice of sweetener (honey, maple syrup, stevia, coconut sugar) (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8-x-8-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the beans, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping the bowl halfway through.
- Add the mashed banana, margarine, and vanilla. Process until all the ingredients are combined, about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top with a spatula. Add nuts if you are going to.
- Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, turning the dish halfway through the baking time. A toothpick inserted in the center will come out with soft batter clinging to it.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the baking dish on a wire rack. Then cut into 12 squares and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.
This batch I used unsweetened shredded coconut in (not delicious).